On my Paris trip, I had L’As du Fallafel in my list to try their famous falafels. Finally, I found this place in Rue des Rosiers in the jewish neighbourhood.
I ordered for a falafel sandwich with hot sauce. The sandwich base is thick & soft pitta bread filled with salad vegetables like red onion, red cabbage, diced tomatoes, cucumber, fried aubergines and finally the golden crispy falafel balls topped with smooth hummus and yoghurt sauce with tahini and a dash of hot sauce. After having the first bite, I knew this is going to be one of my favourite dish. Wow it was so deliciously. Even after returning from the trip, my senses had got struck with hummus and falafel smell for couple of days.
Falafels are made from a mixture consisting mainly of chickpeas, onions, garlic, spices like cumin, hot pepper, sesame seeds and herbs like flat leaf parsley and salt for seasoning. In addition, baking powder is added which helps falafels to puff up a little while deep frying and plain flour to make the mixture to slightly sticky consistency which helps to keep the mixture together while shaping into balls.
Well by now I learnt what a falafel is. Its time to give it a try at home. Here is the picture my falafels. I served as a wrap with salad vegetables red onion, white cabbage, green peppers, diced tomatoes and hummus.
Wow, it tasted delicious and I was immensely happy with results. My falafels were fried perfectly. At that moment, this was exact thought that was running in my mind, if I am able to create falafels to this caliber, it is only reasonable to promote myself from novice cook to next level. Well earned Kira and great way to go 🙂
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Dried Chickpeas – 1/2 cup
Onion – small size – chopped – 1/2
Garlic – 2 cloves
Cumin – 1/2 tsp
Cayenne pepper – 1/4 tsp plus a pinch
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Plain flour – 4 tbsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp
Flat leaf Parsley – chopped – 2 tbsp
– Soak the chickpeas in cold water and leave it overnight.
– Wash and drain the chickpeas.
– Put the chickpeas and onions into a blender and pulse for few seconds, until the chickpea had broken down.
– Add the cumin, garlic, hot pepper and salt to the chickpea mixture and blend it till reaches coarse consistency.
– Add the plain flour and baking powder to the chickpea mixture and pulse for few seconds until the everything is mixed properly.
– Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the parsley to the mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
– Take a tablespoon of chickpea mixture and shape it into a ball and then flatten it a bit. Continue the process with rest of the mixture too.
– Deep fry the falafels until golden brown. Turn the falafels half way through for even cooking.