I never tired Parsnip as a main ingredient by itself. I really had know idea what I was missing, it had a distinct aroma with sweet taste.
This soup is very easy to cook and it had became one of my favourite dinner. In simple terms, it is just cooked parsnip with spices to enhance the flavour. I added little bit of cream for extra creaminess.
It was so delicious with roasted nuts to go it. I served it with crusty bread, which made a wonderful dinner.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- Parsnip, peeled and cut into chunks – 300 g (approx 3 medium size)
- Butter – 5 g
- Onion, peeled and chopped – 1/2 (medium size)
- Fresh Garlic, minced – 1 cloves
- Fresh Ginger, minced – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala, hot – 1/4 tsp
- Vegatable stock – 550 ml
- Single cream – 50 ml
- Salt & pepper for seasoning – Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Roasted Almonds, chopped – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Fresh Dill, for garnishing – 1 tsp (optional)
- In a casserole pan, add the butter and heat it at medium. Once the butter starts to melt, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and cook for few minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the garam masala and mix well.
- Add the parsnip, pinch of salt and pepper. Give everything a good mix.
- Add the stock, bring it boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the parsnip is tender.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes. Blend everything until smooth consistency is achieved.
- Mix the soup with single cream. Adjust the seasoning. Reheat the soup at low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve each bowl of soup, topped with toasted nuts and fresh dill.