Lemon Thyme Slices with Lemon Custard
This month my baking group had the theme “Herbs & Spices”. Often, I use spices in my baking, so I was determined to do something with herbs. While, I was in search of baking with herbs, I came across this recipe. I adopted the recipe according to my preference.
I chose to use “Lemon Thyme leaves” which is very flavoursome with hint of lemon. I started picking off the leaves, I realised it wasn’t easy at all. It needs too much concentration and patience. After a while, I sighed, in order to make it interesting, I started taking pictures of each stage. Well, I am glad I did that, now I can write an illustrated recipe.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 27 mins
Total time: 57 mins
For Biscuit Base:
- Plain flour – 195 g
- Unsalted Butter, room temperature – 112 g (cut into cubes)
- Raw Caster Sugar – 120 g
- Cornstarch – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp (a big pinch)
- Lemon Thyme leaves – 2 tbsp
For Lemon Custard:
- Lemon Zest – 1 tsp (I used zest of 1 large lemon)
- Lemon juice – 80 ml ( I used 1 & 1/2 large lemon)
- Eggs, room temperature – 2 medium size
- Milk – 20 ml
- Granulated Sugar – 130 g
- Plain flour – 2 tbsp
- Lemon thyme leaves to garnish (optional) –
- Place all the ingredients for the biscuit base in a food processor, pulse until it resembles coarse consistency as shown in the picture.
- Preheat the oven 180 C fan. Lightly grease a square/rectangle tin with butter. I used rectangular tin, so I end up with less thicker biscuit base. Transfer the crumbled biscuit base to the tin, level it with palette knife and gently press with your fingers to pack it slightly compact. Bake in the preheat oven for 15 minutes or until the edges lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, start to make the lemon custard. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until pale and foamy. Add the milk and flour and mix until there is no lumps. Add the sugar, lemon juice and zest and mix everything until well combined.
- Pour the lemon custard on top of the baked biscuit base, make sure it is spread evenly. Place the tin into the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until the lemon custard is just set.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely. Cut into squares and enjoy!!!