Tofu is not only for stir fries. I tried this amazing Rendang tofu curry, I should say I was blown away. It was aromatic, rich and tasty.
It mainly comprises of coconut milk with ground mixture of onion, garlic, ginger with rich aromatic spices like cinnamon and aniseed and a dash of tamarind paste.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Yield: 2 Servings
Cooking oil – 1.5 tbsp
Tofu – firm – 100 g
Onion – medium size – 1/2
Garlic – 1 cloves
Ginger – 1/2 tbsp
Cayenne pepper – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Tumeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coconut milk – light – 150 ml
Cinnamon – 1/2 stick
Aniseed – 2
Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp
– Cut the tofu into cubes of 5cm.
– Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the tofu and stir fry until its golden brown and all its sides are shield. Remove from heat and set it aside.
– Grind the onion, garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper and salt into a paste.
– Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a fry pan. Add the paste and turmeric powder to the pan. Cook the mixture for 5 mins.
– Add the coconut milk, cinnamon stick, aniseed and tamarind paste to the pan. Give it a good stir, until everything is mixed properly. Bring it to boil and then simmer for 5 mins.
– Add the tofu and continue to simmer for another 10 mins.
Enjoy the delicious aromatic tofu rendang curry with white rice. The tofu had absorbed some of the spices and it was rich and tasty.