Lamb Tagine in Oven
I brought this beautiful looking individual bean pots from Le Creuset. It is very versatile. It can be used for serving and cooking and I like the fact of straight from oven to the table. I can’t wait to put them to use.
I like Le Creuset for its sturdy build and beautiful looking cookwares. Whenever I am tempted to buy it, I will remind myself never to accumulate good cookwares when you a traveller, it is extremely difficult to carry them around?. I shall find every reason against it, but finally overrule all of them saying “I like it”. So you see I am easily sold when it comes to Le Creuset.
I made Lamb Tagine in these individual bean pots. The meat was cooked perfectly, so tender and succulent. This recipe is slight variation of my previous Lamb Tagine, instead of simmering it on the stove, I cooked it slowly in the oven.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hour 30 min
Total time: 1 hour 40 min
- Sunflower oil – 2 tbsp
- Onion, sliced thinly – 1 medium size
- Garlic, minced – 2 clove
- Ginger, minced – 1 tsp
- Stewing Lamb, diced into 5cm cube – 450 g
- Ground Cumin – 1 tsp
- Ground Coriander – 1/2 tsp
- Cayenne Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Pureed Tomatoes – 150 g
- Stock – 100 ml
- Sweet Potato, skinned and cut into 2cm cubes – 100 g
- Dried Apricots, chopped in halves – 60 g
- Salt to season
- Flaked Almonds to garnish – optional
- Preheat the oven at 160C fan.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in frying pan and brown the meat in batches. Place them aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and add the onion and cooked until the soft.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Place the browned meat in the pan along with the sautéd onions.
- Add cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon and mix well so they are coated well with meat and onion.
- Mix the pureed tomatoes and stock and add it to the pan.
- Season with salt, divide the between two individual bean pots, put the lid on. Place in the middle shelf of the preheat oven and cooked for an hour.
- Carefully remove the bean pots from oven, arrange the sweet potatoes and apricots on the top layer and cook for 15 mins, until the sweet potato is softened.
- Since the meat was slowly cooked in oven for longer time, it was so tender and succulent. Serve it as it is or with white rice.